Frequently Asked Questions | Goldanalytix
Here you find answers to the most frequently asked questions on all topics related to precious metal testing. The questions and answers are neatly arranged according to key topics - so you can find what you are looking for very quickly.
- Density of a body describes its mass in relation to its volume
- "Pseudo-density" can be calculated from the dimensions and weight of the object at hand
- Each material has a specific density
- Conductivity is the ability of a substance to transfer energy (e.g. electricity, heat)
- It is measured in megasiemens per metre
- Our devices measure conductivity using inductive eddy current measurement
- Diamagnetism = the occurrence of a magnetic field (magnetisation), when an external magnetic field is applied to a substance, whereby the magnetisation opposes the external field
in short: diamagnetic materials are repelled by the magnet.
- Paramagnetism = form of magnetism in which a substance shows no measurable magnetic moment in the absence of an external magnetic field, but acquires a magnetisation in the presence of an external field.
in short: Paramagnetic materials are slightly attracted to the magnet.
- Ferromagnetism = By applying an external magnetic field, the elementary magnets align themselves in the same direction. The ferromagnetic material itself becomes a magnet.
in short: Ferromagnetic substances are attracted to the magnet.
- Describe the ratio of the magnetisation of a material to the magnetic field strength
- This so-called magnetic susceptibility can be measured with the help of a magnetic balance